Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

18 May 2015

Monday Musings

Yes, I am back.  It felt good to take some time off.  While I was off alot has happened.  First of all we added a new grandson to the pack - Joshua Luotonen was born January 29th.  He's adorable and joins brothers, Jacob (18 months) and Jonathon (7 years).  A full house for sure! 

I just returned on Sunday morning from my first EVER genealogy conference. Man what an experience that was!  The NGS conference in St. Charles, Missouri was a totally awesome experience.  Listening to such awesome speakers as Elizabeth Shown Mills, Warren Bitner, Thomas Jones, and Judy Russell (the Legal Genealogist) and so many more was like a webinar on some serious steroids. 

It felt good to hear them talk about their methodology, their knowledge - It inspired me to come home and just dive in with both feet, like I could solve all my brick walls NOW.  And maybe I will solve some of them with the knowledge I gained there.  The only way to explain it is like drinking at a fountain of knowledge and it just keeps flowing and flowing.  At times I felt as though my brain was going to just fall out of my head...  So much knowledge, so many awesome speakers & sessions and only 4 days to digest it all.  OH MY!

If you've never done an NGS conference you should seriously consider it.  One stop shopping in the exhibitor hall led to so many fabulous books and finds, discounts on software and so much more...  Good thing I took an empty briefcase because I sure needed it when I went to return home. 

I'm really geeked about everything I learned at NGS.  I spent much of time in German research sessions and Civil war sessions, but couldn't resist mixing in a few sessions from Elizabeth Shown Mills.  Her sessions were just fascinating. 

We will be booking our hotel on Wednesday for NGS 2016, May 4-7 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.  Why don't you plan on joining us??? 

Happy Researching!
   Karen

No comments: