Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow miprofgenie on Twitter

28 February 2014

New Family Contact - Yes Please!

As genealogists we are always hoping somewhere, somehow we will encounter someone who just may know more than we do about our ancestors.  Now and then the genie gods smile down and if you are lucky,  they wave their magic wand!

Some of you may be aware that I also speak (much better than I write!) on genealogy topics.  I've been doing this for about 10 years or so.  I really enjoy sharing my love for genealogy and helping people.

A few months ago at one of my talks I was using a family example in my talk.  The Reusch family is my husband's paternal grandmother's line.  A woman approached me after the talk and told me that her neighbors were Reusch's.  She proceeded to give me their names and the fact that they had moved a few years ago to Tennessee.  She went on to say that she still received Christmas cards from them.  She emailed me the address and I wrote them.

I've been waiting for a letter or something and a few days ago WHAM!  I got a phone call instead!  We chatted about an hour,  discussed family history and I've now sent him a print out.  He was very interested in what I had.  He's going to check out his photo's (he was a photographer!) and see if he has anything that might help me.  Needless to say I'm elated!  His last comment before he hung up was rather cute -  he said, "Just remember, we're retired down here, so we move pretty slow."   He's 82, so I'm glad I was able to make contact with him now.

Needless to say I've got my fingers crossed.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks of what I sent him and just what sort of photo's he comes up with!

1 comment:

Diane Gould Hall said...

Karen,
That is so cool. We just never know when serendipity will smile down on us.
Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story."
Diane